Avoiding Musical Complacency

The art of avoiding complacency

The only way to stop standing still is to keep moving!!! I sometimes meet music teachers who feel they have reached their  goal to become a teacher and are happy to stay where they are, they moan they have no time to practice anymore and just feel like a teacher rather than a musician.

In order to successfully teach music you must surely be an active musician!!
Fortunately or unfortunately ( which ever way you view it)for me I am constantly trying to drive myself forward. I have so many things I wish to achieve.

 I enjoy everything I do and love my job but I'm constantly imagining how I could improve things. Would my piano teaching be more insightful if I was researching new piano teaching techniques. Could I offer more help with stage fright If I was regularly putting myself in similar situations. Could I help more with sight singing if I had singing lessons!

I enjoy putting myself in for music exams to enjoy the nerves and the adrenalin rush and it really helps me to appreciate how my students feel in that situation.  I also love learning new instruments.  It's wonderful to see new students completely obsessed with their instruments and I still feel that way.

Is it lack of contentment that makes me keep striving. I feel rather I'm mainiting my enthusiasm and keeping life exciting. I want to be constantly challenged.  Setting myself new and increasingly progressive goals.

Will if I ever reach the end of my progress?....... I certainly hope not! x

Comments