How much should my child practice?


I am often asked by parents how often their child should practice. The truth is it can't really be dictated. If you really love music you may at times play every minute you have spare. There are times also when you're just not feeling it.

I hope in my lessons that I motivate my students to enjoy music making. This may not be every day or even every week but I hope when they set time aside to do it that they enjoy it!

Music should be fun, and achievable. I don’t ask my students to practice anything that we haven't already gone through together. Often go over a difficult passage with success in a lesson will be a huge motivation for my students to practice at home.

At times I sense the student needs to play something within their reach and easily mastered. 

It is my job as a music teacher to enable my student to play whatever is best for them. I don't expect daily practice but only hope for enjoyable playing and a sense of fulfillment.

Comments